Ah, 2014. I don’t know anybody who is sad to see you go. I’ve dealt with money issues, health issues, missing a mime friend who was picked up by Cirque Du Solei (so it’s been a great year for her at least, but I missed her at the event I see her at each year) another relative dieing, and my parents’ health issues and money problems. I didn’t even get to do my annual New Year’s drawing and this…well, last year’s Captain Yuletide is still unfinished. Then there’s all the riots, panic-causing diseases, an ISIS that doesn’t fight evil when she isn’t teaching high school, a huge amount of celebrity deaths, Gamer Gate (regardless of what side you take), and planes mysteriously disappearing. It’s been a mess!
But are we just remembering the crap? Surely something good happened this year, right? There was Batkid, charity with ice buckets, and other stuff that proved we could be human, creative, and a bit silly. That’s what I asked a search engine, “did anything good happen in 2014?”. Here are some of the answers I got. I know, it’s not in BW’s usual discussion topics but don’t we all need this right about now?
- Whatever your social/political views are, at least some these photos Time found should start things off nicely.
- Science-minded? IO9 found some of the best images of stars, bones, and experiments.
- 2014 saw some good TV musical performances, from the Grammy Awards to SNL to talks shows. The Verge offers some of their favorites.
- The Telegraph shows off some cool gadgets that made it into 2014 in this video.
- Leave it to a site called Good News Network to find 10 uplifting stories from 2014.
- Finally, The Star tells us that there was actually less conflict in 2014, despite what we’ve seen.
So 2014 did have some good things happen. Anything go well for your folks in 2014, or know any more articles finding the positives of last year? Post them in the comments. Make we can hate this nightmare year a little less, and remember to keep an eye out for the good news in 2015. Happy New Year everybody.